Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Making a wirework hedgehog.

HOW I MADE A WIREWORK HEDGEHOG


I made a wrapped loop in one end of a length of copper wire.















I formed a larger loop around a jar of nail varnish and wrapped it a few times under the small loop.













I trimmed the wire and flattened the ends with pliers.
I filed the ends until they were smooth with a needle file and emery cloth.
I bent the wire to form a 'nose'.



I hammered the wire with a nylon mallet to work harden the frame. (The sound of the metal changes when it's done and the metal becomes rigid. )
Next, I made a spiral large enough to almost cover the base frame. Making sure the nose part is clear.
I wrapped the spiral onto the base under the last wrap.
I used pliers to squeeze the end and make it secure.
After trimming the wire I filed the end smooth.
I work hardened the spiral a little, then pushed the centre up to form a helix.
You could leave if flat, just for fun and have that 'just ran over look' :-D
I added tigers eye chips using fine copper wire. (I found 3 wraps in between each stone worked best.)
I then filled the nose with a few rows of brown seed beads, added a black glass bead for the nose and used two black seed beads for the eyes.
Small tigers eye beads were used for feet.
I didn't get photos of the final stages as I was in a hurry to finish it.
It's a fiddly but rewarding job.
I only found out I can make these after a customer asked me if I could make a tortoise!
I made the tortoise in a very similar way and when someone saw it they asked me to make them a hedgehog. I love how my customers have so much confidence in me. It really helps me to push myself and gives me such a boost.
<3>
HERE IT IS!
I have been selling these for £5 including P&P but I really think I am selling myself short there. They take such a long time.
This is the second hedgehog I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my Beady Blog!